Monday, June 3, 2013

Mental Salmon


I do not think that in the seven months I've been meditating (give or take the last two months) that my mind has been quite so rackety with thoughts during the quiet time.  Even as a newbie last year, on the tail end of some very emotional stuff, I did not have half as many visions and scenarios that I've had recently.  And it's almost impossible not to become absorbed by each one.  I realize only when I'm in deep that I'm engaged; I have to bring my awareness back but before long another one steals in and sneaks up my skirt.

Granted there's a lot going on in the life of this Spiritual Biscuit.  We finally found a rental home and will be moving next Monday but coming up with funds for all and sundry is a gargantuan effort, helped mostly by some very good friends and by family.  Moving was not our choice; it was forced upon us and if the landlord had waited just a few more months, we wouldn't be struggling as we are.  So, we're emptying our bank account to move in, to move our pets in (because pet deposit is ridonkulous), to turn on water, to switch on electricity, to turn on cable and internet (which I might survive a while without but with two young children, my sanity depends upon it), to have trash picked up.  And don't even get me started on a moving company.

This will also be the first summer that my kids have not stayed at home with me, so we've been researching day camps too.  *cha-ching-a-ling-ding-ding*.  And beyond that, the lovely task of breaking the news that they'll be moving to another new school in the Fall.  My daughter is just like me when I was a kid - adaptable, easygoing, friendly and upon floating the subject, she's all "I'm a duck, where's the water?"  My son is like my husband, reserved, resistant to change and as evidenced by last year's switch, capable of becoming so highly emotional that he will make himself sick.  So...yay for that upcoming conversation.

Lots of external clatter makes for much internal chatter.  But somewhere through the chaos and unkempt mind, is a small still space.  I was there for a few seconds today and it cracked a teeny, tiny smile before I got sucked back into the fray once again.  I will also admit that my meditation practice, as mentioned above, has been quite sporadic.  With time and consistency and once we are moved and somewhat settled, I'm sure my mind will calm some.  It's not as if the scenarios I have are ones that need sorting out.  They are generic, every day themes that I can't recall after the fact so I'm not worried that I have inner demons to chase down right this very moment.

I'm treading water.  Doing ok for now.  Keeping busy.  And remembering that being mindful is as easy as focusing on scraping the salmon off the bottom of the pan.

Lisa...

No comments:

Post a Comment