Friday, July 12, 2013

Just Write.


I read This blog yesterday and felt the familiar "Yes!"  ohmygod, yes!

Ideas for stories pile up in my head, occasionally filtering through enough to enable a creative outlet and the start of some kind of story...be it flash fiction, a short story or who knows what else, how long or where it's going.  Too many ideas up the wazoo and I am frustrated lately with the lack of propulsion.  My Springpad is filling up with unfinished work, stories that race great out of the gates but quickly lose steam.

After reading the above blog, I thought perhaps I had strayed too far from the point.  Taking advice too deeply to heart.  Holding tightly to the notion that no-one wants to read a life story because what might be fascinating for the writer, may not necessarily be so for the reader.  But, perhaps it's all in the telling.

I have pieces and portions, events and happenings, some of which might shock or provoke tears or elicit a resounding mental "Bravo!" and so I began writing about a quick thing that happened many, many years ago.  After composing the story from two different angles, I'm astounded at how the memory has sprung to life... from a faded thirty-three years ago to now.  The colors are vivid, the characters leap from my mind, the touch of a person, the feel of the day, the utter dumbing numbness that encompassed me.  I have rarely given it thought over the years.  How surprising to find that it is all still intact but if you asked me what I had for dinner last week, I would falter.

It's the kind of piece that makes me wonder what the people in my story are doing today.  Do they remember?  Do they remember me?

And, how can I trust myself to get it all down in such a way that it doesn't resemble the page of a confused ten year old's diary?  To bring it to life without going overboard on prose.  To simplify it.  To describe it in its stark, summer-filled way.

Take a step back and observe.

Much like the strong emotions in life - bearing witness as opposed to immersion in any event that invokes strong emotion, helps work it through.

Be honest and true to human nature, in all it's ugliness and darkness.

Write.  Just write.

No comments:

Post a Comment