Monday, February 17, 2014

Harnessing the wrong horse



Doubt. I named it. Immediately after an impromptu inner pep talk. During the talk, a fact so certain and real lit up my heart.  It brought forth a brief, and not often felt certainty and acknowlegement. Couldn't help but smile. Was allowed to view truth.
Doubt is crafty; often barely heard or seen or felt. The inner dialog hums like the continued strum of a guitar chord and doubt weaves its way in and around the sound.
Doubt is devious. It grabs like a wretched Granny with a bony claw at memories it knows will capture your attention, and throws a harness over the neck of that ill-flogged horse. This only serves to stall progress.
Doubt seeps into life in some form or another. Sometimes it's palpable, "I don't know if I'll have the strength to carry anymore moving boxes." Sometimes it's trivial, "Hmmm...I don't think the chicken's gonna turn out the way I wanted." And sometimes it's a whisper, "Why can't I...?" "I'll never be able to..." "What's wrong with me...?"
The self-doubt prose is so finely honed that we only become aware of it when we question the wheedling whine. We have to confront it, and shove it aside to reveal the treasures it doesn't want to be discovered. It has no choice but to step aside when faced with truth.
The trick then, is to remember that fleeting feeling of gloriousness from a potential met. That solid gold in the heart like light pouring from an open book.
Remember it. Feel it. Doubt will reel from it. And that worn historical horse can go live out its days in pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment